The initiative to install the telephone belonged to Olexander Borodin, a prominent engineer and scientist, author of many innovations in the field of rail transport. O. Borodin lived in the house from 1877 to 1884.
In September 1882, A. Sulymovska sold a plot of land and a house to a wealthy businessman, Nykola Tereshchenko, for 95,000 rubles in silver. Tereshchenko divided the land into two smaller plots. In 1899 (or in 1900) Tereshchenko tranferred the plot with built on it house to his youngest daughter Yefrosynia, married to Volodymyr Sakhnovsky.
A descendant of a noble family, doctor of medicine, a well-known physician and public figure Volodymyr Sakhnovsky was one of the founders of the Medical Emergency Service Society in Kiev. The Sakhnovski family occupied 4 apartments on the first, third and fourth floors of the house. One of their apartments housed the Board of the Kiev Branch of the Auxiliary Medical Commission headed by Sakhnovsky. The Sakhnovskis owned the house until late 1917, the year when Volodymyr Sakhnovsky passed away.
In 1914, as a result of the vertical redevelopment of Tereshchenkivska Street a tall basement emerged on the front facade of the house.
In 1919, the estate was acquired by solicitor Sergiey Pistryak, who became its last private owner. After Bolshevik nationalization, the manor house was used for dwelling. In the second half of the 1930s, rectangular windows were cut in the basement.
By decision of the Kyiv authorities, in 1986 the building was transferred to the Khanenko Museum (then named the Kyiv Museum of Western and Oriental Art).
In 2001-2005, the house underwent repair and restoration work, during which the premises of the ground and first floors were arranged as public spaces of the museum. Administrative and technical offices are located on the second floor. In addition, an internal passage between the Khanenkos’ mansion and the Sakhnovskys house was created at the level of the first floor.
In 2006, the second major part of the Khanenko Museum permanent exhibition, “Asian Art”, was opened in the Sakhnovskis’ house. The four halls of the first floor feature selected works of main Asian collections: "The Art of Hinduism and Buddhism," "The Art of China," "Islamic Art" and "The Art of Japan." The ground floor houses the Museum's Research Library and an exhibition hall, as well as the lobby, cloakroom, cashier’s desk and museum shop.
To tour around the historic Sakhnovskys’ House: 3D tour «Art of Hinduism and Buddhismt”, “Art of China”, “Art of Japan”, “Islamic art”.